Re: Sizing papers

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/30/05-04:53:41 AM Z

Scott Wainer wrote:

> In a recent post, GUM-PVA-COLD preshrink, there was mention of
> preshrinking in cold water not needing additional sizing because the
> paper retains the manufacturer's sizing. Has anyone experimented with
> this and can comment on it? Specifically, I have some Aquarelle that I
> am trying a cold (70F) preshrink with and am finding that the paper
> becomes "splotchy" in the water.

Sorry, I've just downloaded 39 posts and can't read them all at the
moment, what with doing the hostess-at-the-coast gig for the big
weekend, so I'm sort of picking thing to open at random.

I can't speak to the general question of cold water presoak, as I said
earlier, but in that discussion I did say that I didn't think cold
soaking would improve a paper that prints badly unsized, of which
Aquarelle, if by which you mean Arches Aquarelle, is exhibit A.
kt