Re: Sizing papers

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/30/05-08:28:39 AM Z

Scott Wainer wrote:

> Yup, Arches Aquarelle. I also tried the cold water soak with DS Lenox and
> both papers were worthless without 2 coats of additional sizing.

Yes, as I said in that earlier discussion, while I had no reason to
doubt that this worked for the guy who was cited as claiming this, I
doubted it would work for all papers.

Arches Aquarelle used to be a wonderful gum printing paper; for years I
printed all my tricolors on it with no shrinking or sizing whatever, and
no staining or speckling whatever, but those days are gone forever,
apparently.

I hope someone will take me up on the idea of sizing with
glyoxal-hardened gum, because I'd like to see how that works for other
people.

But I may need to tinker with the proportions some more. I left one
sheet of gum-sized paper, pigmented so that I could tell if the gum was
there or not, in water for a day and the gum did dissolve sometime
during that time, leaving clean white paper in its wake. So perhaps
more glyoxal is in order, if the size is to survive through long long
soaks.
Katharine

Even then