Re: Plans for a Cheap Collimated UV Light Source

From: Jack Brubaker ^lt;jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Date: 11/01/05-03:46:28 PM Z

The only place I ever notice a loss of sharpness when using a black light
bed with the tubes only about one and a half inches from the paper is when
the paper is very rough resulting and the neg is not being pressed into the
valleys of the texture. With good contact (I only use plate glass and a
heavy weight on top to press my paper down) my gums look very sharp and
compare well to those printed in the sun. Many sun printed images lose
sharpness because the print frame will not always have the pressure to
flatten warped heavy paper. Also remember that the whole sky is radiating
UVs and trying to creap in under your neg if contact is not ideal. I do not
yet have a vacuum frame but think that that is the best answer for
sharpness. Use the light source that will give you the exposure time and UV
range you need for your printing and put your effort into getting good
contact. Using digital negs my gum printing time is in the range of 2 to 6
minutes most of the time with the above mentioned UV bank.