Re: Arches Bright White [was Many Thanks...]

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/02/05-10:25:55 AM Z

This is interesting, but puzzling. Why would a paper that's manufactured
in France be available only in North America? Well, another item to add
to my list of things I can't fathom.

But when I went to find what I could find about the paper, I found
Bruce McEvoy's caution (about all extra white papers)

www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/paper2a.html

a bit troubling. He says that the Arches bright white "is a recent
addition to the line, following a growing industry trend toward whiter
supports" and adds, citing another author, that sheets marketed as
bright white [or extra white, I presume] "usually contain more chemical
additives and are more likely to change color or deteriorate over time."

Since the Arches is said to contain no optical brighteners or bleaches,
I wonder if I should take this warning to heart; what do paper experts
think about this?

The annoying thing is that I don't even like a white white paper; I
prefer a warmer, gentler white. If they would make this new paper in the
old color, I would be totally happy.
Katharine