Re: gum/dichromate ratios

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 11/10/05-08:09:08 PM Z

> Rather than mix chunks of gum with water, why not use a gum arabic
> solution?
> It's readily available from any well stocked dealer that carries printing
> supplies. A one gallon jug will last for many years of gum printing.
> Dave in Wyoming

Well, in my book a one gallon jug lasts only 256 prints :) when you account
for several layers and the fact that you mix up a batch and don't use it
all.

I was shocked when Paul Anderson, author Judy talks of as being the gum
authority of the 30's (NOT) said in one of his books that gum doesn't go bad
and that he had a gallon of the stuff that was 18 yr old and still good. I
thought to myself, in grad school I went through twice that much...obviously
Anderson wasn't an ubergummist.

The reason why i switched to powder is that I can mix it thicker. But I
might, next time I run out, just beef up D. Smith's gum with some extra
powder. It all works just fine in my book, though...and I've used
Photographer's Formulary, B and S's, Daniel Smith's, and powder from Daniel
Smith, Artcraft, and Photographer's Formulary.

And to answer the "grainy" question, Yves, gum can be grainy or smooth, your
choice. , I saw Keith Gerling's gums, for instance, and they were smooth as
a baby's butt, as I usually say. But the graininess contributes to its
character, too. It is also pretty darn juicy and glossy and rich. Kerik and
Clay's gumovers are as juicy and sharp as a normal print.

If I want grain, I use the Jack Brubaker Scotch Brite Pad technique--drink
some scotch and scratch away at a wet print (I added the scotch part, he
just shared his expertise).
Chris