Re: what happened to my fix?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/15/05-07:08:35 AM Z

The grey deposit on polyethylene container is probably a sediment of
dyestuff that got washed off from the film during fixation. The fixer
is still good, but if you worry, decant off or use paper filter to
remove the stuff. (Once disturbed, the dye will get dispersed in the
solution and it will go through most paper filters. If you filter it,
work gently and don't disturb the bath!) To clean the bottle, you
could fill 1/4 with hot soap water, and shake it vigorously. The stuff
should come off rather easily.

Silver from fixing bath does not plate out by itself like in developer
bath. In order to plate, you would need some electrochemical driving
force.

Ryuji