Re: Gum problem(s)

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 11/18/05-04:20:44 PM Z

I hope I just didn't send a blank email to the list but i think it
happened...

Anyway, Yves, the difference is twofold: i am at 5000 feet; UV rich here.
With Montana full sun at 5000 feet, if I exposed between 10 and 2 during the
day during spring to fall, anything over several minutes was overexposed.
That has to be adjusted to lower altitudes and also seasons, winter
producing less UV.

Direct sun vs. shade is another variable.

Then there is your dichromate--30% am di vs. 10% pot di.

Then there is your negative--bullet proof analog Kodak direct dupe film vs.
diginegs.

When I was making those exposures in the sun, I was using bullet proof
analog and 30% am di in the sun, btw.

One more thing: my gum coating is about one half to a teaspoon per 11x17
print--thus 2-5ml. 11x17 is about 5 times as big as 5x7...and a thicker
layer requires more time.

Second, I don't think I'd take the humidity thing too far. I have gone from
South Carolina to Montana, from 50-70% humidity to now 25% humidity, and my
gum exposures are the same. The length of time I can successfully keep a
coated and unexposed gum print before it succumbs to dark reaction is
probably changed, though.

As far as registration, though, the lower humidity is a pain in the popo...
chris