Re: Gum problem(s)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/24/05-11:57:17 AM Z

I think it's only fair to admit that I realize that my views are rather
  inconsistent on this point. Martin sent me a research paper recently
that I was delighted to get, and I don't see any problem with copying
and sending scientific papers; one assumes that it's about
disseminating knowledge and that no one would object to it. Scientists
usually get nothing but fame, if that, for having their work published;
they are paid by their institution for the time they spend writing the
article and expect no further payment. If I ever use this paper in
anything I write, I'll cite it in the usual way for scientific
citation, without feeling any obligation (nor do I think the authors
would suppose any obligation on my part as long as it was a simple
citation) to ask permission for my cite. So to be consistent, I
shouldn't care about Kosar either, but it seems different to me
somehow. Is it only that with a book, the author actually may get some
money for it? I don't know. I said I'm ambivalent; I think this
further explication simply illustrates my ambivalence.

Katharine