Re: How to apply curves in PS for digital negatives...

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/27/05-09:07:39 PM Z

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Grace Taylor wrote:

> Excellent--thank you. I find that you can also go to
> image,adjustments,posterize, and a dialog box will let you type in the number
> of steps. Grace
> On Saturday, November 26, 2005, at 04:03 PM, John Brewer wrote:
>
>> In CS I would use the posterize edges filter (filters>artistic>poster
>> edges), varying the posterization slider to get the required number of
>> steps.

I may be misremembering, since it's been a while, but, as I recall, what
makes an arithmetic progression in Photoshop density onscreen (as by
posterizing) does not necessarily, in fact does not PROBABLY, print such a
progression with your particular printer, ink, & substrate.

If the idea is to get the digital equivalent of the Stouffer 21-step,
which goes up .15 per step for 21 steps, on a printout, I think you can
start with posterized but then want to read the printout on a densitometer
& adjust back & forth.

Judy