Making Albumen Solution with Kodak Indicator Stop

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 11/28/05-01:54:32 AM Z

Not having immediate access to any glacial acetic acid I substituted Kodak
Indicator Stop instead which is a 28 per cent solution instead of 99
percent. I used 5 ml in a 500 ml solution of egg albumen. I encountered no
problems with staining from the indicator or dyes used in the stop's stock
solution. I think because the amount is so small the effects are negligible.
The only ill effects were my eyes popping out of my head when I saw how long
the tonal scale was for albumen -- 2.55. One question: can someone explain
to me the purpose of acidifying the albumen solution with acetic acid?
~m
p.s. A beneficial spin-off of making albumen is that these days I make a
mean hollandaise sauce ...