Re: Making Albumen Solution with Kodak Indicator Stop

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 11/28/05-07:02:05 AM Z

>>> mkochsch@shaw.ca 11/28/05 2:54 AM >>>
>>...One question: can someone explain
to me the purpose of acidifying the albumen solution with acetic acid?
~m
p.s. A beneficial spin-off of making albumen is that these days I make a
mean hollandaise sauce ...<<

As I understand it, the purpose of the acetic acid is to help denature
the protein. I believe it helps break down the long-chain protein into
smaller segments, which apparently is also the point of mechanically
frothing the solution IIRC.

You could probably just use some of that lemon juice that you'd put in
the Hollandaise to a similar effect.

Joe