Why multiple exposure (was Re: (Gum) Tonal scale)

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 11/28/05-11:36:35 AM Z

Hi Katharine and all

My question is most probably very confusing I can agree with that any time.
I assume way to many things.

My understanding of "tonal scale" refers to the shape of the curve on a
graph where the vertical axis is a measure (density most often) of the
response to the relative amount of light received (horizontal axis). The
tonal range would then be the difference between the maximum and minimum
density values.

I made some test of my own and I got about 6 to 8 steps (Stouffer 21 steps)
dependent (as expected) on the gum pigment mix I used. I didn't measure the
densities but I think everyone knows each step correspond to approximately
1/2 stop of exposure which mean I got a response to 3 to 4 stop of light
exposure. If we translate these stop to density (for the negative) then we
have around 1.2 and this is well in the range of required densities to
produce a "standard" silver print. Just in case, I understand that the shape
of the response curve for a gum print is most likely different then those of
silver prints which means we have to use negatives with a "compatible" curve
to do gum prints.

So I guess my real question then is how come all the fuss about multiple
exposure that many seem to favor for gum prints???

I understand one could do multiple exposure to practically change the
response curve "ad lib" and I'm not even thinking of colors here which by
itself opens up an all new dimension to the process.