Sensitivity spectrum of gum (was: Re: Gum problem(s)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/30/05-06:18:44 PM Z

On Nov 19, 2005, at 10:31 PM, MARTINM wrote:

> [...]

Browsing through an old chapter on dichromated colloids in the printing
industry this afternoon, I came across something that caught my eye,
that relates back to this discussion of a couple of weeks ago, and
after reading that, then I re-read the section in Kosar on sensitivity
as well. It looks to me from my reading that Martin has an
interesting point here, although the data don't speak entirely with
one voice.

According to Kosar, the dichromates are "efficient absorbers of
ultraviolet, violet and blue radiation, with maximum absorption by
ammonium dichromate at 3670 A and potassium dichromate at 3575 A." It
seems, as Martin says, that most people just measure the sensitivity
spectrum of the dichromate solution rather than the sensitivity of the
dichromated colloid layers. Two different sets of researchers who
measured the dichromated colloid film found, for albumen and for some
unnamed "resins," that the sensitivity of the mixed colloid is the same
as for the dichromate. " But for other colloids, it seems that's not
the case, and here's the part that made me sit up and take notice: A
researcher named Jorgenson found that the spectral sensitivity of
dichromated gum arabic was shifted toward the green or longer wave
lengths compared with albumen. "Spectrophotometric curves of albumen
and gum arabic showed that this shift was probably due to the
difference in the spectral absorption of the colloids. "

  I can't seem to find in Kosar any direct information about dichromated
gelatin, although he cites one study of "dichromated colloid film,"
without specifying the colloid, as finding the sensitivity to be
maximum between 3500 and 4500 A, another study, again with colloid not
specified, that finds a spectrum similar to what Sandy describes,
except it goes to zero at 580 rather than 520.

Just sharing my afternoon's reading, for whatever it's worth to anyone,
Katharine