Re: Technical Grade Muriatic Acid

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 10/08/05-12:29:34 AM Z

Michael wrote:

> So what is the correct proportion to use to make Aqua Regia? Does using a
> less concentrated form simply give a less concentrated Aqua Regia mix (read:
> weaker)?

The only time I saw aqua regia used, it was made with fuming HCl and fuming
HNO3. I do not think that the small amount of extra water in the
non-fuming varieties would have a material effect on the aqua regia -- that
is, I think aqua regia can be made from the concentrated acids of commerce
-- but I could be wrong. Perhaps Ryuji knows?

An exact 1:3 proportion is not critical -- therefore, if one acid is
slightly more dilute than the other, it shouldn't matter (assuming that
acids slightly more diluted than maximum, but still concentrated, will work
in the first place).

Best regards,

etienne