RE: Technical Grade Muriatic Acid

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 10/09/05-11:40:48 PM Z

I use the sulfuric as Richard suggest, to make a tray cleaner. It also comes
in handy when I let my wife use it to teach her students about the wonders
of what it can reveal about the make up of sugar. Phosphoric is used as a
clearing bath and as an ingredient in an old soda drink at the ice cream
store, a Phosphate - soda water, flavoring and a few drops to give it a
sparkle or fizz.

NaOH does generate quite a bit of heat at mixing but I am unaware of any
additional heat in a resting bottle. It will break down over time and become
less strong or potent, but not to a degree as to be safe.

One aspect with concern to safety is not just the acids, but what you keep
them around. After having some plastic bottles give way, and spill their
contents all over, I try and keep a tray underneath where I store my bottle
to prevent a contamination that is more wide spread.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226