RE: Toning VDB before fixing with selenium

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 10/17/05-05:40:37 PM Z

Good luck, but I don't recommend it unless you wash your print for a
very long time before toning. Any residual silver salts left in the
paper will react strongly with selenium toner, even very dilute
solutions, and cause staining, from mild to very severe.

Most of the problems of bleach back can be avoided by toning with
gold, palladium or platinum before fixing. After toning with these
metals you will not see any bleaching of the print in the fixer, even
with very strong fixers.

Sandy