Re: gelatin

From: Anne van Leeuwen & Peter Hoffman ^lt;anne_peter@earthlink.net>
Date: 10/20/05-10:21:51 AM Z

I've been making paper since 1985 and that is what I use for my alt
photos. I do use and internal sizing agent but also always use gelatin
as my external size. It works well for and both my cyanotypes and gum
prints. The paper holds up beautifully during printing processes and
look good after several years framed.

I use Knox, thoroughly immerse the paper, blot (so as not to have
drips), let dry. And I just let it harden for a couple of weeks. I've
been told by a "guru" in papermaking that gelatin naturally hardens
with time, no need for hardener.

I've read some talk here that gelatin is not necessarily good. I
wonder what that is about?

Anne Storm van Leeuwen