Re: salt printing questions

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 10/23/05-06:39:30 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Smigiel" <jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: salt printing questions

> Rajul,
>
> Yes. The metabisulfite fumes are quite acrid and
> irritating. Thanks
> for the reminder.
>
> Are the bisulfites less so?
>
> However, I suspect a small amount on a cleaning sponge
> would not be much
> of an irritant compared to a trayful open and fuming in a
> darkroom sink.
> And thanks to Richard posting the Kodak hand cleaner
> formula,
> experimenting with the metabisulfite seems unnecessary
> now.
>
> Thanks to both of you.
>
> Joe

   Commercial Sodium Bisulfite is mostly Metabisulfite
according to Kodak. I suspect the acrid fumes are Sulfur
dioxide, the same thing that can come from hypo. I find it
can set off my asthma if I get very much of it. However,
Sodium Bisulfite (or Metabisulfite) is found in a lot of
photo formulas, for instance some hypo baths and in Kodak
Hypo Clearing Agent.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA