Re: Gum over Palladium

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/28/05-04:21:45 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> Pondering that question re Stieglitz & Steichen as, for example, the
> Flatiron building and Moon Over Mamaroneck (billed as gum over platinum),
> I've figured the color had to be from a positive (tho I doubt digital).

Well, I don't know, but while staring for a long time at a reproduction
of one of the three versions of Steichen's Flatiron image in Stieglitz's
collection, in order to decide whether I think the gum was printed with
a positive, I fell totally in love with the picture and now want to see
it in person some time before I die. An interesting though mainly
irrelevant factoid: of the three versions of this image in the
collection, only one is actually gum over platinum; the other two are
gum over gelatin-silver, and all three were made from a copy negative
taken of an earlier gumover print; from my reading I take it that no
one knows what happened to the original print that the copy negative was
taken of.

The distinctive blue in Moonrise--Mamaroneck, Moonlight--Winter, and
others, however, was created by a cyanotype printing in addition to the
platinum and gum.
Katharine