RE: OT: Response to Richard Corbett's comments about New Orleans

From: Kerik ^lt;kerik@kerik.com>
Date: 09/01/05-08:51:45 AM Z

Yes, Richard's remarks are patently offensive and cold-hearted. To me they
warrant his immediate removal from the list.

Kerik

  _____

Thank you Harry Smart! I too am extremely offended by this statement, and
am delurking to say so. This smacks of the remarks made by the so-called
religious right about post 9/11 NYC--that those people somehow brought it
on themselves because of their lifestyles. Both observations are most
un-Christian. New Orleans has more spirit and soul than nearly any other
city I've been to, and deserves nothing less than our most fervent prayers
and/or best secular thoughts, and donations as each can afford.

Linda Briscoe Myers

Austin

Richard, I'm not sure quite what you mean by this, but it's a phrase with
biblical connotations, and many people would assume from such a stark remark
that you are suggesting the disaster that has befallen New Orleans and the
area around it is some sort of judgment. If you are making that suggestion
in the belief that it has some biblical or Christian warrant, then you
should be aware that you are wrong; and not only wrong, but offensive. The
kind of crude historicism your (implied) view represents is quite explicitly
rejected in the gospels by Christ himself .. look at Luke 13, for instance,
and the reference to those killed by the tower at Siloam. 'Do you think they
were any worse sinners than ..' No. Any normal human being, Christian or
otherwise, who looks at what has happened to New Orleans feels nothing other
than immense sorrow, and sympathy for those who have lost their loved ones,
their livelihoods, their homes. Shame on you for your remarks.

Harry Smart
Scotland