Re: making regular photo paper POP

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 09/01/05-09:21:06 PM Z

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Yes, Marek, I'm "in the know" with a few more details. I made sure to scour
> the book for info before returning it to the student, and this is what he
> shared (Burchfield), but funny enough, not any different than is what is in
> my Exp Workbook and stuff on this alt list! Do a search on POP somewhere
> between 2000 and 2001. That's why I find it so funny--but there is no
> denying that he has taken this process to a beautiful point, moreso than I or
> any of my students have. That is why it is so exciting to me to see this
> book because NOW the students will understand the beauty of this experimental
> process!

So interesting that it's Burchfield. He did a related process sometime I
think in the 1970s which I found in a book and used a lot... What you
might call a stop bath toner. That is,if your negative is REALLY
contrasty, you can expose/develop the available tones , then give a very
quick weak stop (possibly, I seem to recall, a well-used stop), then take
a 100-watt tungsten bulb and REALLY burn in the missing highlights (I was
doing this on the old Brovira #5, sometimes so hard that the "Mazda" on
the bulb imprinted on the paper). The result was tones in many beautiful
colors, as described in those photograms -- BUT, the tendency with most
papers was for most of the colors to fade a lot on fixing.

It's possible the alkaline fixer described works better (though I was told
it should be *acid* -- so go figure). I also assume different papers are
different. I found that to keep a strong pink, or even a greyish pink, I
had to have REALLY STRONG pink to start (with the Brovira most other color
was lost). Since this method also uses chemical developer, I think that
could be another variable.

The tone of course appeared mostly in sky areas, which were the "bullet
proof" parts of the negative. I'd guess the tones in the photograms appear
around the silhouettes of the shapes???

Judy