Re: BACK ON TOPIC, I THINK

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 09/03/05-03:21:05 AM Z

I think it is rather important to consider whether you want the
Silverfast software before paying extra for the Ai version..

I've used several versions of Silverfast with several scanners (some it
came with, others I had review copies of the latest and most expensive
versions), and always ended up going back to Vuescan for my own work.
Not that Silverfast isn't good software, but that for my purposes
Vuescan gave me better results more simply, particularly scanning colour
negatives. I know many people find Silverfast extremely useful, and
suspect that if I wanted to scan material in bulk for repro without
further manipulation I might turn to it.

However for the kind of workflow I have, working on relatively small
numbers of images that are to be further manipulated in Photoshop, I
think it would be better to get the standard version of the scanner and
a copy of Vuescan Pro which at $90 with unlimited free upgrades - even
when you change your scanner (it will drive almost any scanner on the
market, from bottom to some high end models) - is a bargain. Mine cost
me rather less some years back, and is now driving its fifth scanner,
the earlier ones having been replaced by more capable models. The
single licence allows you to use it on up to 4 computers.

Regards,

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk +44 (0)1784 456474
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/