Re: making regular photo paper POP

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 09/03/05-08:44:46 AM Z

I think the two photo chems are S2 and S30...

They are used in a sabattier process, by Prof Jolly, along with dektol.
However, if one were to take the POP that we are talking about and use any
sort of dektol, it would probably turn black, so my idea is to use the S2
and S30 alone and see if the Mie effect is more pronounced.

Unfortunately, in trying to get more of one of the chems I had to buy it in
a 2.5 gal amount. Luckily I have a liter remaining of the stuff.
Therefore, I'll have to try it this semester and see if it is a bomb--or
"the" bomb, so I wouldn't rush out and buy the stuff, listees, unless it
works. I could be barking up a way wrong tree.

Why I thought of it, is that the colors seem to be similar in Burchfield's
POP and the chromoskedasic process. And that Burchfield attributes some of
the brilliant colors he gets to chemical effects from the plants.

Ryuji's idea to use sodium thiocyanate and potassium hydroxide may be just
the ticket, to avoid having to purchase large quantities of something that
doesn't end up working.

My idea, Ryuji, was not to presoak the paper in the chemical, but to drip
and brush on while the paper is exposing outside, or after exposure, with no
dektol involved. Something sort of similar to this is in Laura Blacklow's
book, called Chromoskedasic Sabattier. It was also written about by Lam in
Scientific American 1991, and in Photo Techniques under Jolly's article
Silver Mirror Printing and Other Unusual Black and White Print Development
Processes...and I am pretty sure Ed Buffaloe has stuff about it on his
website, duotone thiosulfate solarization.

Whether this stuff can be applied to the POP, who the heck knows, but that's
the whole point of experimental photography class :) Successes and failures
come out of the same foolin' around.

But isn't this much better than flame wars????!!!!! Photography is soooo
much fun.
Chris
PS I could just KICK myself because right before I read Burchfield's book, I
threw out a bunch of outdated BW paper in an effort to clean out my life....