RE: "speckling" v "staining " (was New Orleans/glut)

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 09/03/05-02:11:10 PM Z

Chris,

BTW, I don't want to cast aspersions on Don's sizing method with Rives, as
his paper is perfect looking, flat, non-yellowed, and I think he did rinse
the glyoxal off after hardening. But, Don, did you separately tray harden or

put the glyoxal into the hot gelatin?

All appellations and aspersions cast aside, I put the glyoxal into the hot
gelatin *after* the gelatin was fully dispersed and dissolved at a temp. of
about 110F. The paper was tray sized in batches of 10 or 11 sheets with
interleaving the bottom sheet to the top every 30 seconds or so for about 5
minutes. The sized paper was then removed to another tray of warm tap water
for two minutes and removed one by one and hung to dry overnight. This was
Rives BFK which had under gone two previous cycles of preshrinking by soaks
in very warm water. I tend to agree with Judy that room temperature water
would probably work just as well to pre-shrink since all alt papers shrink
as a result of normal processing such as VDB, kallitypes, cyanotypes, and
palladium uses.

I assume that gum printers that don't pre-shrink their papers must at least
dampen the paper to obtain registration for multiple coats or use some type
of pin registration technique such as described by Keith Taylor.

As I've probably mentioned before, the only yellowing observed was on the
bottom corners where the gelatin droplets dried.

Don