Re: making regular photo paper POP

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 09/04/05-08:53:28 PM Z

From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
Subject: Re: making regular photo paper POP
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 08:44:46 -0600

> I think the two photo chems are S2 and S30...

Sorry, that was my typo.

> They are used in a sabattier process, by Prof Jolly, along with
> dektol. However, if one were to take the POP that we are talking
> about and use any sort of dektol, it would probably turn black, so
> my idea is to use the S2 and S30 alone and see if the Mie effect is
> more pronounced.

I understood that part when writing my last response. The reason why
you get sabattier and other effects with these additives is, in part,
but in a large part, due to amplification due to developer. If you
incorporate perturbation before amplification, effects from the
perturbation get amplified on top of the "signal." But if you add
perturbation without (or after) amplification, its effect is limited.

> My idea, Ryuji, was not to presoak the paper in the chemical, but to
> drip and brush on while the paper is exposing outside, or after
> exposure, with no dektol involved. Something sort of similar to
> this is in Laura Blacklow's book, called Chromoskedasic Sabattier.
> It was also written about by Lam in Scientific American 1991, and in
> Photo Techniques under Jolly's article Silver Mirror Printing and
> Other Unusual Black and White Print Development Processes...and I am
> pretty sure Ed Buffaloe has stuff about it on his website, duotone
> thiosulfate solarization.

I still think that the kind of effects you get with POP (without
developer) is quite different, and probably rather limited. But one
can certainly experiment... (How do you contact print on wet paper? Do
you make disposable diginegs?)