Re: "speckling" v "staining " (was New Orleans/glut)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 09/05/05-09:49:51 PM Z

> Which leads me to my real problem with glyoxal is not the yellowing, but that
> it doesn't do the job it is supposed to in my experience--keep the highlights
> clear and white. That is not just with my work, but with students that have
> used it as size of choice at MSU. Hence my quest for a problem-free
> hardening agent to teach with next semester.

What can I say -- I found glyoxal excellent -- as did my students. We
used 15 ml per liter of water. The gelatin has to be dry, and then paper
is soaked in glyoxal bath, say 5 minutes... and don't keep the left over
bath. Mix fresh next time.

And though I haven't compared it to glut, I suppose I'd know "grit" if I
met it. None yet.

Possibly different sources, formulations, qualities, of glyoxal... or of
everything else ? Or maybe it's something else in your combo. What do you
use for gelatin?

> Judy, I thought the white speckles with cyanotype, years ago on this list,
> was a factor of brushing/abrading the paper and some of the paper fibers were
> not coated with solution? The speckles to which I refer are always colored,
> never white.

Never saw them... ours are white. No need to brush so hard -- just slosh
on with a dampened foam brush... (If I see students overbrushing, I smack
'em.)

J.