sizing and gum reference images

From: Jack Brubaker ^lt;jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Date: 09/06/05-03:57:27 PM Z

Katherine,

I think you are right that one of the uses of a group of images of gum
errors would be to help beginners identify their problem and to be able to
look at how others have solved that problem. You're right that there have
been very different effects called speckles on the list. You have been very
clear with your illustrations on your site but others have different
parameters of paper and size, different techniques, and different
definitions of terms. Let's put some images together and see how many
specific effect we have and then worry about naming them. Speaking for
myself I'd be delighted to have you name the effects and then open it to
discussion. I hope you will contribute your images because you are most
likely the person who has done the most to document gum effects, most of us
have been throwing them away without a thought.

You wrote
I mean, who
> would get to decide how to group the different examples and what they
> should be called? Since we seem to work in parallel universes, it's
> hard to imagine that we could come to an agreement on any of that.

You may be right. But we won't know without trying. If we can do it we could
really advance the discussion by leaps and bounds. It may be true that some
effects are, due to multiple variables, will prove too inconclusive to
define (your parallel universe comment). If we only define some of the terms
and effects we will be better off for it.

I look forward to the possibilities, and hopefully your help.

Jack