HERE IT IS-LONG ONE

From: BOB KISS ^lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Date: 09/07/05-06:52:01 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
        As approved, here it is.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB
Tuesday, September 6, 2005
Dear Friends

TRUTH and BEAUTY and LOVE are UNIVERSAL.

CHILDREN FIRST

Immediate and very direct help, go to
www.braf.org
www.habitat.org
http://www.girlscoutsaudubon.org
http://maps.google.com - Type in New Orleans address and click Katrina link

 New Orleans is my home and birthplace. I remained in downtown New Orleans
during the difficult first five days. In the French Quarter, downtown, and
along the Mississippi River, I witnessed the SURVIVORS of this powerful
storm struggle to maintain dignity and life.

Along this narrow unique corridor of the original city boundaries, there was
NO FLOODING. All around us, the waters rose and the struggle roared louder
than the hurricane winds of that historic storm.

During this time, communication was non-existent. Rumors ruled the street.
The outlaws were bad, but a tiny percentage.
The community worked together to have the stamina to remain calm and alive.
NO water or food was delivered into these historic quarters until late
Friday afternoon.
NO evidence was seen of Authority or control.

We were not destroyed through looting or shooting.
In fact, I witnessed a far more remarkable scene than TV or radio was able
to report.

The other less famous, but EQUALLY IMPORTANT neighborhoods of this
remarkable City, were deluged with water, fear, anger, bullies, and HEROES.
Our policeman, fireman, and individual citizens used their wits and
struggled to rescue many thousands of stranded friends and families while
their own lives had been shattered.

The historic French Quarter and Riverfront community up St. Charles Avenue
and along the Mississippi River survived intact and can be ready for your
return soon after the electricity and running water is restored.

We are eager to see the misery calmed and life and vitality restored.
Despite the visual images you are seeing, you will be surprised in the
upcoming weeks.
As we unite, together we can move forward to bring us together again.

The Daily Challenges are being addressed in a manner that requires everyone
to remain flexible, cooperative, resourceful, inventive and respectful. ALL
displaced CITIZENS must have the Opportunity to return to their original
neighborhoods. These unique neighborhoods must be rebuilt.

The complex and multi-dimensional problems of this event are going to be
solved, step-by-step, day by day, brick by brick. THE PEOPLE who are the
heart and soul of this great city will be back. It is essential to bring ALL
home to let the magic that you love about New Orleans blossom in the SPRING.
The great gumbo of New Orleans requires that ALL our friends and families
have a chance to return to their roots. The unique qualities that we love
will shine if we continue to act with true dignity and bring back to EVERY
NEIGHBORHOOD the artists, cooks, workers, musicians, professionals,
carpenters, and more. This is TRUTH for NEW ORLEANS and EVERY community
that surrounds it for miles and miles and miles.

Tonight, we are scattered and battered.
Each day, the outpouring of concern has kept us going forward. We will
clean it up and want everyone back to their neighborhoods and homes.
For some of us, this will be soon.
For the vast majority, it will be much longer.
WE NEED YOUR HELP and the fantastic response from around the world and
especially across the USA must continue.
THE LOVE for New Orleans is evident.
WE sincerely THANK YOU.
We know the stress is spreading and touching all of you.

EVERYONE in the entire region has been affected. I am presently in Baton
Rouge organizing and helping people find a place to live, work, and send
their children to schools. Baton Rouge has taken in over 350,00 people and
nearly doubled in size.
Some of us are in hotels, friends' homes, strangers' homes, shelters,
churches, temples, arenas, gymnasiums, vehicles, tents, and every available
resource you can imagine.

The generosity and kindness of the great people of Baton Rouge, Houston, and
every town and state for hundreds of miles is remarkable to witness. They
are nurturing my fellow CITIZENS of New Orleans, Mississippi, and Alabama.
It will continue.

Many of you have asked to HELP.
We need your resources and immediate attention to a multitude of tasks.

We must continue rescuing, protecting, housing, and restoring health all at
once. This test and challenge will require stamina and willpower,
infrastructure, money, and planning. Timing is truly critical.
Everywhere I look, the efforts and overtime are phenomenal. Imagine.

My fellow survivors continue to inspire others. No doubt major mistakes
have been made. This can be debated at a later date.
 I ask all of you to continue focusing on NEW ORLEANS and the entire GULF
COAST and pushing this effort forward. Each of you have a role to play as
this situation stabilizes.

Tonight, I feel that the children need our most immediate attention. In
Baton Rouge alone, there are over 35,000 new children of kindergarten to
high school age who are in dire need of stability and EDUCATION.
This TRUTH is repeated in numerous communities all over Louisiana,
Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona,
New Mexico, and many more.

Tomorrow should be a school day for these beautiful children. We must
begin to provide and prepare them for the future. NOW!

Schools, teachers, personnel, and supplies need to come together quickly.
An Education Relief Task Force is organizing this effort. I strongly urge
you to continue supporting ALL charitable efforts with your donations.

I believe that the Baton Rouge Area Foundation (www.braf.org) is the proper
place to direct your financial contributions at this very moment. The
EDUCATIONAL CRISIS is critical. The New Orleans School System is wiped out
and bankrupt.

As you think about this, if we can get our children on a positive track,
then parents will begin to rest easier and thus able to solve all the
problems we need to address.
>From this will spring forth all the other great projects needed.

At times this emotional roller coaster we are all on, causes us to briefly
stop. It is paramount that we work together diligently for a very long time
to achieve this GOAL for our CHILDREN.
It can and must be done. With this will follow the jobs and the dignity we
all need to rebuild.

CHILDREN FIRST.
Send your donations to BRAC.ORG
My dear friend Marc Sternberg, a Baton Rouge native,
(marc@bronxlabschool.org) is a vital part of this effort.
Bring your energy, ideas, and donations NOW.

Throughout all of this, I have heard my mother's words echo in my sky.
"Pick up the pieces and get on with it."

Thank you for your prayers, positive thoughts, and energy. You keep me and
many others moving forward on this path to recovery.
Every moment of everyday we encounter a changing reality.

FOCUS on the FUTURE by immediately providing the resources needed to get
these NEW SCHOOLS up and running. The CHILDREN need you more than ever.
It will take more than 150 million dollars for this effort in Baton Rouge
alone.
All the communities of the great Gulf Coast and Deep South region have the
same challenge.

I will continue to be here to help.

WE ARE ONE.

CHILDREN FIRST

Immediate and very direct help, go to
www.braf.org
www.habitat.org
http://www.girlscoutsaudubon.org
http://maps.google.com

Below is my eyewitness account sent earlier to many of you.

 I know it only applies to this tiny historic piece of land I was blessed to
be in at the moment this storm arrived.

I am keenly aware that other neighborhoods in New Orleans and all around the
GULF COAST experienced a nightmare of biblical proportions that seems to
grow daily.

THANK YOU
I am the luckiest man in New Orleans and this planet.

Friday, September 2,2005
Just got out last night. I could have stayed, my supplies would have lasted
for seven more days

 But, the fires have started.

 The reports of looting downtown are exaggerated. Yes, they broke into the
grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations, for food, water, diapers, milk
etc. Of course all the rest got stolen as well. Canal street had a few
hours of thugs doing sports shops, but all other shops and the ENTIRE French
Quarter is safe and untouched. The storm did glass and roof damage and
trees UPTOWN> Just needs to be swept. Looks LESS dirty than a typical Mardi
Gras day.

 I was never threatened. 99.9% of our people are heroic, stoic, and human
beings of great quality.

 THE FLOOD did NOT get into the Fr. QTR> and along the river to AUDUBON
PARK>

 I stayed and helped and photographed and bicycled these areas every day.

 NO shooters, some idiots, but everyone doing the best to get along and
survive. Other flooded areas, it is very desperate and there are some
battles going on, but very isolated.

 From Monday to late yesterday there were NO military, red cross, FEMA, or
anyone with supplies DOWNTOWN>

 Even the N.O. Police and Fire Dept were largely absent.

 I stayed in the Qtr at A Gallery. The building and contents is presently
fine.
 I will be going back soon to help the other people

 The Amazing people of New Orleans will survive and rebuild.

 The media stayed on Canal Street and are missing the real story.

 Unfortunately, the "looting" story is all they had downtown and its
repetitious playing of that footage has setback recovery. IT FALSELY scared
off the rescuers, I guess.

 Too many rumors reported without eyewitness verification.

 Bad business needs to change.

 Please spread the word.

 Bush and his people have been bad to us. Every hour matters to the
remaining people

 The surrounding region is overwhelmed with recovery. Baton Rouge has
200,000 people to help

 LSU is a triage center.

 EVERYONE is pitching in.

 The entire situation is complex and difficult for everyone. Many
shortages, gasoline especially.

 By the way, since early Tuesday, access into New Orleans via the downtown
Miss. River Bridge has been clear to Baton Rouge. Everyone else got in that
way, why not the military?

 Four hours away by CAR is Fort Polk, one of the largest bases around.

 Bring the boys home, especially the National Guard.

 New Orleans needs your love and positive thoughts.

 Email and spread the word. Contact your leadership in Washington and keep
the pressure on.

 Especially today and tomorrow.

 Remember that these people are the heart and soul of the New Orleans
everyone loves.

 See you soon

 Joshua

 --