RE: Argyrotype Paper Problem

From: Baird, Darryl ^lt;dbaird@umflint.edu>
Date: 09/08/05-09:15:11 PM Z

Sandy, I'm noy trying to pick a fight, but you were fairly short,
direct and emphatic that argyrotype was THE problem without a solution
or suggestion for the questioning party. That's a brickbat from where
I sit.

I don't disagree with most of what you've stated now about paper or
Tween in the coating (I don't even use tween and still get good
coating with a Richeson brush). But most users would probably agree
that Cranes paper works well with Argyrotype.

Now as far as " ...the final result is neither better, or even
different, from what can be obtained with either vandyke or kallitype
with less trouble and expense." I'd probably disagree, Van Dyke is
three solutions and Kallitype, depending on version is several steps
and a somewhat complicated formuli and/or variations. I'm just plain
lazy and like less solutons to mix when I want to print and less
complications as I print. I think Argyro is less trouble. I suppose we
might differ on what is "trouble." I'm in awe of anyone shooting with
ULF cameras.

The cost of Argyro is driven up by silver oxide, but that's solved
(not as easily!!) by precipitating silver nitrate with sodium
hydroxide (and not Drano as I tried once). Sulfamic acid is readily
available from a variety of sources too. I get mine at Home Depot for
$5.00 a lb. So I can make a liter of Argyro for $31.68, or less than
1/10 of what it is sold for by Silverprint. With a Cranes Cover 23X29
sheet at about $1.00, cut down to (4) 11.5 X 14.5 sheets I can make a
full 11X14 of 8X10 with nice brushed borders for about 30 cents. So
the cost is pretty darn cheap when done efficiently. I know you like
Kallitypes, I do too, but I think the Argyro process has some
admirable qualities, plus like I said... I'm lazy (and cheap too).

Darryl