RE: Fixing Lumin Prints

From: Liam Lawless ^lt;liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 09/06/05-02:15:51 PM Z

George,

It's another of those things I did donkeys' years ago and don't remember in
too much detail now. But what I meant was to expose paper to a negative
under the enlarger in the darkroom, develop the print part of the way
(possibly using a somewhat weaker dev; I don't emember now), then wash it
and transfer to an *extremely* weak dev before blasting with sunlight. Not
all - and maybe not many - of the papers of 15 or so years ago worked well,
but with a few that did the results were magnificent... until fixed!

Doing it as a toning process (by bleaching a fixed & washed print) was
something that occurred to me later, but gave different results. Again, not
many papers worked well; Ilford Multigrade III RC was one that did, funnily
enough. The colours are not nearly so vivid, but I think I remember that
they're more resistant to change in the fix.

Pot. iodide is one of the fixing agents that Fox Talbot tried and liked,
though it doesn't do the same thing as hypo. Rather, it converts the other
(more soluble) silver halides to silver iodide, which is virtually
insensitive to light in the absence of halogen acceptors. Iodide doesn't
work like a toner (since silver iodide is whitish), but the reason that
Talbot liked it is that it preserved the colours of his print-outs. But on
the other hand, maybe more of his work would have survived if he hadn't
liked it! The image may not be absolutely stable, but it should have a
reasonable life. Instead of darkening, iodide fixed prints are at risk of
fading, especially if the iodide solution was too strong.

Mike Ware talks about iodide fixation in his "Mechanisms of Image
Deterioration", but I can't find any formulae for an iodide fixer. I'd
suggest starting at 0.5% and going up from there in small increments if you
need to. One of Dallas Simpson's party tricks was to bleach a print in 4%
pot. iodide and dry it without washing. It would print itself out in
daylight, but fade away again in the dark at night.

Hope that's some help. Can't answer any more for a while - UK bedtime in a
minute & I'm away for a few days in the morning.

Liam