epson 4990 scanner

From: Shannon Stoney ^lt;sstoney@pdq.net>
Date: 09/15/05-08:29:29 AM Z

Speaking of Epson:

Has anybody had any experience with the Epson Perfection 4990
scanner? (I have just gotten back on the list so I hope I am not
bringing up an old thread that you discussed all summer.) I looked
at one yesterday in a store, and I was worried it wouldn't work well
for scanning 8x10 negatives or medium format panoramas, because for
big negatives, the film sits directly on the glass. I was worried
there might be newton rings or poor focus. The 8x10 holder doesn't
really suspend the film above the glass; it's more like a template.
Maybe one could fashion a holder out of thin plastic, though.

--shannon