Re: update on lumen prints

From: George L Smyth ^lt;glsmyth@yahoo.com>
Date: 09/15/05-10:13:12 AM Z

Christina -

Thanks for the information. I think that this process is all over the place.
Many of mine retain some color following fix, but not enough to be interesting.

In a previous message I mentioned that I tried 10% sodium (as opposed to
ammonium) thiosulfate and within 10 seconds most of the color had been lost, so
I tossed it into the wash. I diluted the fix to 1% and fixed for several more
minutes without seeing a change (the fixing effect was probably doing nothing).
 I placed the prints in the wash and went on to something else in the house.
About 5 hours later I remembered that I still had prints in the wash. When I
pulle dthem out they were primarily white, which was a new one.

I did a quick 30 minute exposure yesterday under my lights so that I would have
something to show a group of people, and indeed the colors were not nearly as
intense as the others I had created (1-6 hour exposures in the sun). I did not
fix the print so I am going to see what happens if I tone then fix it.

Fortunately, I was given a box of old paper that will offer me the chance to
try that out.

Cheers -

george

Handmade Photographic Images - http://www.GLSmyth.com