RE: Dry mounting

From: BOB KISS ^lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Date: 09/20/05-06:45:18 AM Z

            I recall that this topic has been discussed on the list before
so I will repeat the info I have. An archivist/conservator friend of mine
says that a significant part of his living is made from using the arcane and
difficult processes necessary to remove Adams, Weston, and other’s prints
from the damaged or dirty boards on which they have been dry mounted. It is
VERY expensive, difficult, and, if not done by a serious pro, potentially
dangerous for the print. He told me that, unless I wanted to put some
conservator’s kids through university, don’t dry mount.
            As Ryuji said, all curators/archivists/conservators recommend
doing NOTHING that is IRREVERSIBLE to any art on paper (like prints).
I also like very flat prints hinged behind window mattes. I press the
prints flat between two 100% cotton boards in a slightly warm press. They
seem to stay flat so I don’t dry mount.
            My 3 cents.
                        CHEERS!
                                    BOB