Re: Post Factory

From: Dan Burkholder ^lt;fdanb@aol.com>
Date: 09/20/05-06:09:11 PM Z

As one who has published both in hard copy and pdf format, I'd like to
share my limited insights.

There are several reasons to publish in pdf:
1. Inexpensive to publish
2. Easy distribution
3. Easy to make changes and update
4. Can be sold at a lower price point to attract buyers
5. You never mess with damaged product or returns
6. People love buying stuff with a mouse click and getting it fast

And like most double-edged issues, there are downsides:
1. Easy to violate copyright via sharing and duplication
2. Less impressive than hard copy (books seem to endure better)
3. Requires a gosh-darn computer to read, at least until you print it.
4. Nothing to hold except a pile-o-printouts

PDF is a terrific medium for sharing information but you won't
automatically be guaranteed a wider audience or higher profit margin.
And yes, the searchable feature of pdf is a big asset but a
well-organized book with good TOC and Index is also fun to explore.

Just my $0.02

Dan

--
www.danburkholder.com