Re: Post Factory

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 09/21/05-01:09:57 AM Z

Greg wrote:

> The existence of PF in a library collection
> probably does more to secure a publications availability now and for
> future generations than any number of digital files now.

Would that it were so! Unfortunately, all libraries are perpetually short
of space, so they are forced to police their holdings mercilessly. Their
principle of selection is popularity, as determined by circulation. I had
repeatedly borrowed several hard-to-find photo books through interlibrary
loan when I needed them, and sadly watched as library after library
de-accessioned them. (When I caught on, I borrowed the remaining books and
photocopied them. [Note to the Copyright Police: when a book is virtually
unavailable, I consider copying the whole thing to be "fair use."])

Best regards,

etienne