Re: palladium vs. cyanotype sharpness

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias ^lt;jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net>
Date: 09/21/05-05:30:29 AM Z

Loris Medici wrote:
> I have 3600dpi imagesetter negatives (for Cyanotype) printed on smooth
> paper which clearly show the (non visible to the naked eye) dots ...

A consideration should be the resolution that the paper used is capable
of rendering. I have found a smooth paper like Crane's (Cover, Business
Card Stock, "Platinotype") only resolves 600 lines per inch. Any
resolution beyond that is "hidden" by the paper surface. The way I use
to determine paper resolution is to make a negative with various
resolution target lines, print it with the process and paper selected,
and view with a magnifier or microscope.

This does not mean that the 3600 dpi is useless as the extra resolution
might be able to be used to produce more tonal "bit depth" in the
roughly 600 dpi dot (not taking into account loses from dot gain, etc.)

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/