Re: Glutaraldahyde activation?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 09/29/05-01:34:04 PM Z

From: Keith Gerling <Keith@GumPhoto.com>
Subject: Glutaraldahyde activation?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:25:51 -0700

> Does anyone know how I should go about using this? Should I just
> activate a portion as needed, or is the activator even necessary if
> this is to be used as a gelatin hardener?

The activator solution is unnecessary for hardening and probably best
if not used. (Activator is a pH buffer to bring the glut pH to about
8, where glut is most effective as a biocide. The pH of the stock
solution is about 4, at that point hardening is slower than at 8, but
fast enough for hand coating applications. Also, pH of 4 is much less
likely to interfare with iron based and dichromate processes.)

MaxiCide 2.5% glut without activator is the solution Chris has been
using.

Ryuji