Re: gloy for tricolor on yupo?

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 04/01/06-10:07:23 AM Z

Mark & all,

I don't deny the usefulness of a step tablet, I use it all the time for my film tests. I agree with you that for exchanges with the external world it's much better to speak the same language and to use and apply the same standards. There are many standards we could agree on as I'm sure you are well aware.

All this is fine but what I'm saying is, in a digital world you might as well go digital all the way. I know we can play with number all we like and even convert pixel values to EV values taking into acount the gamma curve and everything else I'm not mentioning here. I also know that a pixel value is in it's way a standard as well.

When I or any one else sees a pixel on the screen converts it to it's negative value, print this negative pixel on pictorico and expose some fine paper with this negative, this pixel value (and it's inverse) follows you all the way, scan this print an you close the loop. In other words, with the scan you have everything you need to figure out what happen to your pixel along its path. At each step of the process at hand, the pixel value is kind of bump around but just as with anything else we can apply digital (I don't want to use the M word) transformation (kind of debumping) such that we can have an alt-print that present the same qualities we obtained on our screen.

You would be right to say, playing with numbers is playing with numbers and using a scanner or a reflective densitometer to close the loop, you still have to use "digital" transformation so why not stick to the old fashion way of doing things (density)? Well, I would say and I'm sure you'll agree with me, every time you manipulate number you loose something, so however you look at it, when scanning your alt-print to close the loop, you never have to convert density to pixel value for one and what I consider the most important, you have a consistent unit of measure at every step of the way and from the person sitting in front of the computer, there is not even a single computation involve by this person. I mean, all this adjusment or curve thing can be done graphically in a few step or in a single step using numbers, if you don't count the verification stage of course. All this is theory of course and in practice I'll be the first to admit things are more complicated then that but not because the theory isn't right and a lot more because it's practically impossible to make identical alt-print manually. So it takes time and a few trials to average out unevenness sort of speak.

I know you wrote a book on the subject which I haven't read and every one says it's a must have, which is probably true. In practical term however, using a manufactured step tablet or one you made yourself will in the end give you the same result. By this I mean in the end, the last print we make and consider as our "fine" print will never be the same for both of us and it wont be even close to what we see on the screen. The first negative we made however "precice" it may be, will never be the same as the last we used for our "fine" print. I would even add the same thing will happen to each "fine" print we make. All this is bound to happen because both medium (screen & paper) are so basically different in properties and characteristics that there is simply no way the best image we can make on screen would translate directly into the best image we can make on paper. This is the kind of thought I have the most difficulty explaining with my limited vocabulary but I'll try again using someone else words. Ansel Adams said something like this, the original image captured (be it a negative, a slide or a digital image directly) is kind of the partition and the print is kind of the performance of the artist. This is way, I consider each original image individually and each performance and or artist also individually. We are human are our moods are as changing as the wheather and what we arrive at on a screen and consider our "finest" performance, will invariably have qualities quite different from the same image we consider our "finest" performance on paper. I don't see a way around this reality, though I said a few times that it would be nice to be able to see how our paper prints would look like on a screen, I already know it is futile to think its possible. Even a scan of a print will not give me the same let say reactions.

Maybe I'm just trying to convinced myself that printing step tablets is a total waste of time and energy because in the end, it is not important how you get there, it's the "fine" print, the end result and that outweight anything else.

Regards
Yves