Alternatives to Yupo (Lupo) for Temperaprint

From: John Grocott ^lt;john.grocott403@ntlworld.com>
Date: 04/02/06-03:10:26 AM Z

Hi Folks,
To the six hundred + List subscribers.
>From John Grocott - Photographist. Long time lurker.
Just to keep the facts straight. Have fun.

>From the w/s by Alex Chater and Peter Fredrick:-

''We have tried many differing substrates and found that with suitable
Sizing or preparation, most, can be made to work with the egg emulsion. These considerations are further discussed in the advanced section of the book.

Ideal Base

We have found that an impervious base seems to work best. It facilitates a stain free surface, and allows for an accurate system of registration. Thus in one stroke solving the problems, inherent in other processes.
We mainly use a polypropylene plastic paper known as Synteape
In the UK and in the States the product is called Kimdura.

However it is manufactured by the Oji-Yuka Synthetic Paper of Japan and is called Yupo and can be sourced through: --
http://www.yupo.com/welcome.html
Please find further information in the appendix section

Alternative substrates

This does not mean that there are no alternatives to this excellent product. Semi-matt RC photopaper can also be employed if the sliver gelatine emulsion is physically removed with strong domestic bleach. Standard watercolour paper works if it is strongly sized. We have found that a 10% to 12% solution of gelatine to be effective. Or two neat coats of Liquatex matte medium. This changes the quality of the watercolour paper surface to a pleasant sheen.

Other substrates such as wood, stone, metal, fabric and ceramics will be dealt with in the advanced section of the book. The virtue of this process is the ease with which it will happily coat onto a great variety of substrate surfaces.''