Re: Digital step tablets

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 04/03/06-11:41:10 AM Z

Don,

thanks for the info. It happens that it is exactly the same procedure as I
thought except for the use of the densitometer. This adjustment or curve one
obtains this way gives us a linear translation of our image on screen to our
image on paper and it's just fine.

What I tried to add is that I'm beginning to think this is only a starting
point and an excellent one at that for sure. But an image on screen is so
drastically different then one on paper, I have serious doubt that a simple
linear translation would bring out the best possible qualities of the image
on paper. Further then that, I would add that each individual image will
need it's own set of tranformation to make it our most satisfying print. I'm
sure you understand, there are a gazillion little details that can make a
significant difference, the paper for example, how many time have you eard
folks here say I use this or that paper because I presume they like what
they see, the textures, the nuances and all those little things that make
the difference. I also underestand one could be quite satisfied with a
single curve for all of his/her prints made using the same process, I just
have serious doubt I will. I don't recall who said this but I remember
someone saying that some image are definitely "this" process while others
are "that" process and I presume some can be done using a few different
process. This kinds of tell me that if a process can better render the
qualities we seek in a print and even a different paper can do the same it
is more then possible that an "exploration" of the possible adjustment one
can apply to a single image can bring its best potential. All this doesn't
even take into consideration all the possible twiking one can realise during
exposure, development and toning of a print when it applies of course.

Regards
Yves