Gloy,  gum and PVA : Practicality & Clear Advice.

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/04/06-04:30:20 AM Z

RS said

>ll have to escape to
such a weak argument as "that is irrelevant to practice" or "pedantic
turn of mind" kind of nonesense. If thing's started with better
arguments, or better yet no such argument at all, we all spare
subsequent posts of rebuttal.<

In practice, it is pedantic to insist that PVA is not a gum especially given
RS's own admission that 'gum' is a term which is difficult to define. It is
pedantic , as some did, to insist that a gum print made with PVA should be a
Gloy print or a PVA print.

Coming back to my short trawl on Google, it appears to be common usage that
PVA is referred to a gum. As I have already said, dictionaries include
'similar' substances in their definition.of gums Again on the analogy of the duck,
PVA is a gum.

There is no doubt that these overcomplicated discussions, replete with
jargon, are 'irrelevant' to the practice of gum printing in that they afford no help
to those wishing to make gum prints.

These points I put forward  are not 'arguments', 'weak' or otherwise, they
are conclusions, inferred from facts. which RS would find very difficult to
'rebut'.

RS could, of course, follow his procedure, in the archival qualities
discussion,  where he took something I said out of context, thus altering the meaning,
changed the wording, thus further distorting the meaning, and then ridiculed
that distortion. That is a good example of the  'setting up an Aunt Sally' of
which Mike Ware was complaining. RS  objected to my use of 'misunderstood' to
describe what he had done. In the circumstances 'misunderstood' was a
euphemism. Naughty but not nice.

Terry

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)