Re: Why does cyanotype work?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/04/06-07:28:57 AM Z

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:07:52 -0500, "Barry Kleider"
<bkleider@sihope.com> said:

> I've been teaching a high school chemistry class using the cyanotype
> process as our point for understanding chemical reactions.

Check out Lawrence and Fishelson, 1999. UV catalysis, cyanotype
photography, and sunscreens, J. Chem. Ed. vol 76, 1199-1200.

> We've talked about how potassium is the marker element for iron...

I don't know about that...

> I'm looking for a way to explain the photo-reactive properties of the
> process. I assume that the image formation is the result of a chemical
> reaction. (Am I right?) What does light do in this process? How?

The above article should be a good starting point.

> Is this a simple oxidation process?

It's a reduction process.

> Why does it leave an image?

Because of imagewise exposure causing imagewise reduction.