Re: Argyrotype and Bergger COT 320

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 04/04/06-07:56:20 AM Z

Hi Loris,
So glad you are doing argyrotype with your methodical testing way; I learn
from you.

I do not get any bleeding with argyrotype but I did mix up my formula to
include Tween in it, as Ware recommends. I added 10 drops of 50% Tween 20
per 100 ml (I wish Tween wasn't called Tween 20 because i assume it is 20%
when it is not). However, I will NEVER do that again--mix the Tween into
the bottle of formula--because certain papers need more or less Tween than
others. But I sure do not have any coating problems with argyrotype that I
have noticed since I did it that way.

Also, I found it weak on Platine, and whether that was because of lack of
humidity (it runs about 15-20% here in the winter) or that Platine is
unsuitable for argyrotype as my notes have suggested, I have not gone back
to prove. It looked a weaker, grayish brown color instead of the deep rich
bittersweet that it should be.

I never found argyrotype to lack in the dmax department in general (aside
from this Platine thing), which I do with VDB at times. I never double
coat.

I gave the students their midterm a couple weeks ago. It was odd for me to
have test questions on Mark Nelson and Mike Ware and actually be able to
talk/email to the people I am writing tests about :) I have to give them
kudos because they have got the digineg part loud and clear. But for some
unknown reason they didn't test as well on the "gum myths" section.
Hmmmm...something's wrong with this picture.
Chris