Re: Gelatine is also '' a '' gum but not Gum.

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 04/04/06-09:55:32 AM Z

A more appropriate generic name than gum would be direct dichromate
colloid processes. This would included processes we commonly call
Gum, gloy, PVA, direct carbon, Fresson, Artigue, Hochheimer Gum,
Paper Noir Gomme, Tempera Print, Cassein, etc. and a bunch of others
I forget.

In general, although there are some important working differences,
they all work on the same basic principle, ie. exposure (and
hardening of the gelatin) is from top to bottom, with no transfer of
the image (as in carbon and carbro). Also, many of these processes
involve the use of more than one colloid, as was true of Fresson,
Artigue and the many commercial gum papers that were once produced.
You might mix gelatin with gum, or gelatin with fish glue, or fish
glue with rabbit glue, or cassein with gum arabic, and blah, blah,
blah for ever.

And each mixture would give a slight variation in terms of working
procedures and appearance, which would be, at least IMHO, a more
interesting and useful topic for discussion than what this discussion
has offered so far.

Sandy