Re: Gelatine is also '' a '' gum but not Gum.

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/04/06-11:02:08 AM Z

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:55:32 -0400, "Sandy King" <sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
said:
> A more appropriate generic name than gum would be direct dichromate
> colloid processes. This would included processes we commonly call
> Gum, gloy, PVA, direct carbon, Fresson, Artigue, Hochheimer Gum,
> Paper Noir Gomme, Tempera Print, Cassein, etc. and a bunch of others
> I forget.

Slight change could be used to that term. I suggest to avoid the term
"colloid" and use macromolecule.

As I said in another post, "colloid" referrs to a particular state of
dispersion, and it is not a direct attribute of the molecule. Also, at
the time of imagewise exposure of dried films of dichromated PVA (and
other macromolecules), it is not proper to call the PVA and others a
colloid, because, in the dried state, there is no colloid. The term
macromolecule can be used in all of these contexts.