Re: Gelatine is also '' a '' gum but not Gum.

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/04/06-10:37:19 AM Z

Sandy

As you say they all follow the same principle. But we are stuck with name gum
printing when the prints are made with gum.

When everyone from the food industry to book binding refers to PVA as gum it
seems perverse and pedantic to insist that a print made with PVA should be
called a polyvinyl alcohol print.

I infer from your post that you would agree that our ability to communicate
with each other,give advice and learn from our colleagues, would be much
improved if we avoid nit picking.

Terry

In a message dated 4/4/06 4:59:11 pm, sanking@CLEMSON.EDU writes:

> In general, although there are some important working differences,
> they all work on the same basic principle, ie. exposure (and
> hardening of the gelatin) is from top to bottom, with no transfer of
> the image (as in carbon and carbro). Also, many of these processes
> involve the use of more than one colloid, as was true of Fresson,
> Artigue and the many commercial gum papers that were once produced.
> You might mix gelatin with gum, or gelatin with fish glue, or fish
> glue with rabbit glue, or cassein with gum arabic, and blah, blah,
> blah for ever.
>
> And each mixture would give a slight variation in terms of working
> procedures and appearance, which would be, at least IMHO,  a more
> interesting and useful topic for discussion than what this discussion
> has offered so far.
>

> Sandy

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)