Re: Gelatine is also '' a '' gum but not Gum.

From: Alberto Novo ^lt;alt_list@albertonovo.it>
Date: 04/05/06-01:25:18 AM Z

Terry,

> As you say they all follow the same principle. But we are stuck with name gum
> printing when the prints are made with gum.
>
> When everyone from the food industry to book binding refers to PVA as gum it
> seems perverse and pedantic to insist that a print made with PVA should be
> called a polyvinyl alcohol print.

I don't find unseemly calling "gum bichromate" the prints made with gum
arabic, "casein print" those with caseine and "temperaprint" those with egg.
So why not begin using the term "PVA print" when PVA is the medium?
Think when the bichromate will not be sold (sooner or later chromium salt
will be banned in Europe to fulfil the Aarhus Protocol), and we will begin
using a different sensitizer. We will print "unbichromate gum"!

Alberto