Re: Gelatine is also '' a '' gum but not Gum.

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 04/04/06-10:22:40 PM Z

Judy,

Regardless of the proof anyone might cite, I am certain that the same
top to bottom hardening that we see in carbon is also the primary
mechanism for colloid hardening in gum. However, the exact manner in
which this happens is obviously much more complicated in gum since
there are issues of surface adhesion not present in carbon.

The specific proof that you cite, "depending on mix and exposure,
it's often possible to wipe off the TOP of a gum layer, while the
bottom, the part in/on the paper holds," would not be convincing to
me in the least since the same operation will cause the same result
if applied to a carbon image during development. For whatever reason,
highlight density is always the most difficult to clear in carbon.

Sandy