Re: Gum hardening -- top down?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 04/05/06-07:42:40 PM Z

Judy,

So, let me understand. You are able to make gum prints with one
exposure that have both high Dmax (log 1.80 or above as is possible
with carbon), and a complete range of tones from the shadows to the
highlights?

If so, show them, and better, provide working details of how you achieve this.

Or more broadly put, if anyone can do this, show your work and give
the working procedures.

As for your comment, "As for exposure from the back proving top-down
hardening -- surely you jest --do you expect the hardening to occur
on the back of the paper?" I am really left with little to say,
except that this statement proves what an incredibly deficient
understanding you have of the theory, practice and mechanism of
colloid photography.

Finally, you remark, "Meanwhile, FWIW I have tried that exposure from
the back thing for other purposes... After two hours of exposure
NOTHING occurred & I figured the dichromate would harden from old age
-- and me too -- before it "worked," and gave up. So when you say
"very long," you mean about a week?, in which case dark reaction
could be theorized instead..."

The answer to the above is, you need to expose for as long as
necessary. If two hours was not long enough, expose four, or six or
ten or twenty-four hours. I know people who have made beautiful
carbon and gum prints by exposing to a north light for a week or
more. The fact that nothing happened in your experiment proves
nothing.

Before anyone attacks my comments, please bear in mind that I am not
making any claims of superiority as to how to best make gum prints.
My only claim is that the mechanism of hardening is from the top
down. And there are many ways to test this that will demonstrate this
as fact. But people knew this as fact in the middle of the 19th
century, so don't blame me for the bad news.

Sandy