Réf. : RE: Need Advice on Thick Gum Coating

From: Philippe Berger ^lt;mineurdecharbon@skynet.be>
Date: 04/06/06-07:35:34 AM Z

Are you a image of your gum ?

philippe

-------Message original-------

De : Marek Matusz
Date : 04/06/06 15:32:45
A : alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Sujet : RE: Need Advice on Thick Gum Coating

Sandy,
Try a foam roller for smoothing your gum. it works for a lot of people on
this list, including myself. I like your idea of exposing the print from the
back. Glass would be good testing surface. Maybe if the gum is exposed
through the glass it will not wash off.I am going to run a few tests
meyself. I have been experimenting with a mix of gum and gelatine for a one
coat direct print with some success so I am interested in the subject.
Marek, Houston

>From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
>Subject: Need Advice on Thick Gum Coating
>Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:53:28 -0400
>
>Although I am not currently involved in gum printing the current discussion
>got me interested in running a test to illustrate the concept that in gum
>printing the hardening of the gum is top down. So I mixed up 100ml of a 1:1
>solution of saturated potassium dichromate and lithorgraphers 14 Baume gum,
>and added ten grams of lampblack to the mix. I applied three thin coating
>of this to a piece of vellum and exposed it, through the back, with one of
>my carbon negatives for 30 minutes with a UV printer. Exposure for carbon
>would have been on the order of 4-5 minutes but the extra density of the
>paper based added about two stops of exposure.
>
>The print is not bad. Dmax is much higher than one could get with a single
>coat of gum, and yet there is a full range of tones. The only problem is
>that I was not able to get a smooth coating so there are a few streak in
>the print. The results were so interesting that I plan to do some more
>experimenting with this kind of printing.
>
>So, wonder if someone with more experience than me could advise as regards
>the best way to mix and apply very heavily pigmented gum emulsions using
>the 14 Baume lithographers gum.
>
>Sandy

__________ Information NOD32 1.1474 (20060405) __________

Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
http://www.nod32.com